| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | James Dixon | |
| Date/Time: | 14/03/07 11:06:00 |
| Lucille Come to think of it, I am not totally surprised that other Councillors have not contributed to this thread in particular, although apparently under general ‘instructions’ to participate in as many dialogues as possible. As a complete outsider, may I add a few comments? The reason why the Conservatives have been so successful in recent years [and I have supported them, although the national picture for me was a different matter] may have been due to good party discipline, and a strong whip. I have no inside information. Recognising from the outset that the Museum issue was likely to be controversial – and the strength of the controversy may have taken all by surprise – I sense that instructions were given that only the Cabinet member responsible should defend the policy. It only required one Councillor to say one thing on-line which was ‘off-key’, and utter chaos would have reigned. Short of a Councillor resigning the whip or a larger rebellion in the party, I do not think that we are going to see any change in the near future. By the same token, and for the same reason, I don’t think we are going to see Justine Greening contribute to this debate, despite the Putney constituency having a strong history of involvement in cultural, etc., matters – Hugh Jenkins was Minister for Arts, if I recall it, and David Mellor to this day is a leading presenter on Classic FM. So long as she is a Conservative and the local authority is also Conservative [but heavens knows why in this day and age there is such a strong link between local and national parties, when the issues involved are so often hugely different], there can not be a breaking of the ranks, very regrettable though it may be. We may see another story unfolding at the end of the month, but that is for the future. On the general concept of democracy, I am astonished to find the word ‘negotiation’ being introduced into relations between a local authority and its constituents. It is also ground-breaking that discussions of this nature should be taking place in such a ‘virtual’ world. This thread would never have existed ten years ago. Participants in a sense are privileged to have the ears of those who represent them. New etiquettes are being learned, and forms of self-discipline established which hopefully will lead to success. |