| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Martin Hime | |
| Date/Time: | 11/03/07 19:30:00 |
| I really should stay out of this discussion as so much I say seems to be misunderstood. But you miss the point about saving money, Roland. All departments of the Council were asked to come up with ideas for saving money. The closure of the Museum was not the original idea of Councillor Grimston, but one which he accepted. Now, with further thought, it is being presented as a "way to improve culture" in Wandsworth. I think no one agrees with that. If saving money is essential that is one thing, but let us not pretend that the plans will "improve" culture in Wandsworth. Malcolm, as briefly as I can, I remember very well the question of Special Schools which indeed I was involved with. The original idea was "planning for inclusion" as proposed by this Government ie as many as possible of children with special needs going to mainstream schools. The proposals went on being looked at at numerous meetings over at least 2 years. Then both the Govt and Wandsworth recognised that "inclusion" was not a good idea for many children. So the Wandsworth plan was changed to "reorganisation and investment in Special Schools" In the end I think the proposals were good for all children, but the principal was turned on its head. I think the same thing is happening with the Museum. The original idea for closure was purely to save money - nothing else. Now, after a much shorter debate than occurred over Special Schools, we are suddenly ie in 2 months rather than the 2 years (for Special Schools) told that the main reason for closure is to "improve culture" in Wandsworth. I find this hard to swallow. Secondly, Malcolm, I understand what you say about using "formal" figures for identifying costs. But I think we should talk about the "real" amount the Council will save by closure. This depends on the actual cash dispensed in 2006/2007 - a figure we still do not have. I still think to ask for a further 6 months delay is not asking a lot and something you could live with Malcolm. The effect on Council expenditure will be very little, bearing in mind no savings at all are expected this financial year. (And we expect £2 million from increased parking charges)I believe a short delay would give everyone a real chance to think all this through again and perhaps find sponsors and/or suggest alternative plans. |