| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Jonathan Callaway | |
| Date/Time: | 28/01/07 15:46:00 |
| I listened to Michael Bull on Friday evening at the Wandsworth Historical Society's meeting when he spoke eloquently and movingly along the lines of this message. I hope very much that as well as being posted here this powerful message has been sent to each and every councillor who will be voting shortly on the proposed closure. There will be a meeting on Tuesday morning between Councillor Grimston and representatives of the WHS and the Putney Society when I hope some constructive alternatives to closing the museum can be agreed. The danger is that he will not be moved by any representations and will then claim that no alternatives to his plans have been put forward, therefore closure is the only way forward. The chances of individual Conservative councillors voting with their consciences on this matter, in defiance of the Executive's clear intentions, are depressingly small. The phrase "there is no alternative" does however have a distinctly Thatcherite ring to it and I wonder if Conservative Party Central Office in general and David Cameron in particular appreciate the damage to the new image of their party this will cause. Representations in that direction may well have more effect than any other effort to deflect the Council from its chosen path. I would urge Michael Bull and all others who feel as strongly as he does to write to David Cameron. I know some have already and I wonder if any sort of response has been received? |