| Topic: | Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Joanna Eaves | |
| Date/Time: | 05/02/07 11:06:00 |
| I work in the Chelsea Children's Hospital School based in Fulham. We often bring pupils to the museum and to the De Morgan Centre as it is not too far to travel. We also use the Cuming Museumin Southwark, which incidentally is thriving! Local Museums perform a very valuable role as we all know in keeping us alert to our history and to our understanding of our current lives. they also enable access to local archives and objects and special exhibitions. If the museum is underused currently and this is to be used as an excuse for closure, I would suggest that it has lacked funding. Museums and libraries are our great inheritance from the successful business people of the 19th and 20th centuries. We can discuss their changing place in today's society but need to be mindful of the short-term and ficsally motivated sell off. I live in Lambeth. The councillors who oversaw the closure of many primary schools and local libraries in the last round of sell-offs here, have in large, moved on and away. I would hate to see Wandsworth lose any of its important heritage. I will be contacting the Borough directly to raise the issue of all the proposed changes/sell offs for the Brewery, the Museum, the Arts Centre etc. Joanna |