| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Cedric Peachey | |
| Date/Time: | 07/02/07 15:55:00 |
| Val, Thank you for your first-hand experience of Hounslow CIP. I know them as one of 110 Leisure Trusts that are part of the Sports & Recreation Trusts Association (SpoRTA) that I deal with regularly but I cannot vouch for their track record on culture. What I do know is that three years ago there were only 30 such Trusts and the models they have developed not only work but are flourishing in most parts of the UK, serving all parts of the community and attracting grants and support that are not available to local councils. In short, the proliferation of the leisure trust model has been nothing short of phenomenal. The very latest is in Rochdale where a Trust has been specifically formed to run cultural facilities - art galleries, museums and libraries. It will be formally launched in April 2007. The most successful of all is Greenwich Leisure, who manage 60 sports and leisure facilities with an annual turnover of some £60 million. If they were to be approached with regard to Wandsworth Museum, they would certainly require a significant level of grant while they take over the staff and facilities but most Trusts expect the grant to reduce over an agreed number of years as they introduce savings and secure support from agencies and external partnerships. Unfortunately, WBC appear to live in a world where they expect a cheque for £418,000 to be put on the table before they will even consider any scenario besides closure. By the way, we have yet to see what cross-charges and other costs are included in the £418,000 that Cllr Grimston uses as his touchstone for savings. I would not be surprised if it includes a significant element of Council charges that will not disappear with the closure of the Museum. |