| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Lucille Grant | |
| Date/Time: | 05/03/07 07:44:00 |
| No Martin I did not know you have never visited Wandsworth Museum. How long have you lived in Putney?! If you would like to go I would be more than happy to drive you there and I'm sure Pat Astley Cooper will be only too willing to give you a tour. As to Malcolm being senstive to comments on this forum - surely that comes with the territory of being in public office. Ask T. Blair, Gordon Brown et al. It has been ever thus. Frankly I don't believe he is the only bad guy in this case: Edward Lister and Maurice Heaster have also under-estimated the feelings of the residents of Wandsworth. The Conservatives seem hell bent on alienating their core voters. As for other Tory councillors, if they look closely into this policy they cannot seriously believe it is the right one. Perhaps they are being bullied into submission. It ceetainly appeared that way to some of us at the Scrutiny Committteee when Malcolm gave his spiel in front of the packed Council chamber. Re raising of cash - I can assure you this has been discussed thoroughly by the Campaign Group and we have been advised that promises of sponsorship cannot be relied upon UNLESS we are assured of the future of the Museum ie that it has a single permanent home. There is little doubt that were this the case funds could then be raised. As to your query re the visitor levels, Fraser - I know that the De Morgan Centre has been extremely busy since publicity over its closure or loss to Wandsworth has been publicised. I would imagine the same has been true of Wandsworth Museum. Perhaps Wandsworth Councillors would like to tell us how many have paid it their very first visit since they became aware of their own decision to close it? |