| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Tony Belton | |
| Date/Time: | 20/02/07 14:30:00 |
| Can I tentatively join in? John Horrocks is not quite right. Malcolm Grimston does not get an allowance for the particular Executive/Cabinet Meeting that he missed. He gets what is in effect an annual salary - and just to be open so do I and all the other 58 elected members of the Council. (He as a Cabinet member and me as Leader of the Opposition get more than most; I think he and I get the same amount as it happens). At the Cabinet meeting I expressed my concern that the "new" (2000) structure of local government allows a situation, where neither the Cabinet member nor the Leader attended or attempted to justify this particular policy. To be fair this is allowed as a consequence of "my" Government's rather bizarre legislation, legislation which I have consistently criticised in Council and Committee since it was first mooted. One Conservative member accused me of being very unfair in making the criticism, which is now being re-iterated in the Forum, She claimed that we (councillors) all knew that Monday was going to be a rubber stamping exercise. Surely this demonstrates the arrogance of power. Surely the majority party might just have had the imagination to know that opposition to their proposal was not just going to fit into neat little controlled packages just for their convenience. |