| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Malcolm Grimston | |
| Date/Time: | 12/03/07 23:22:00 |
| OK, a last try on the assumption that the questions have been asked for the benefit of those who are undecided and want further information to them make their minds up. 1. We need the site for the library (this is part of our bottom line) as soon as possible and I have seen no convincing argument that people should be deprived this major cultural benefit for the community longer than is necessary. There is a two year period for anyone to put together the finances for the West Hill library site if that is the preferred option so there is plenty of time for a solution to be found. BAC have no such time available and in any case have proved to be trustworthy negotiating partners. I have no doubt that the Museum Group can also become such partners if they want to work with us constructively, but not if some members continue simply to snipe and so make it impossible for us to take the risks inherent in negotiation, as I have explained elsewhere. 2. The other services which would have to be cut to provide this are higher priorities for the council. 3. If the Group wants to work in an honest and respectful fashion with us then we will be delighted to engage with them, as we have demonstrated over BAC. 4. False premise - it is the visitors who do NOT go to borrow books (i.e. use the wider cultural services of the libraries) who are the relevant comparison group. More visitors mean a lower cost per visit but I have not seen any evidence that these higher numbers will be sustained. In any case they come nowhere near the 300,000+ expected for the new library. 5. Since neither of them mentioned the new library I assume they had been misinformed about the proposals, perhaps by those who do not want a balanced debate on all of the proposals. I have written to them both with the true position and await their replies, but until I have them I can't be sure what their views are. Like Martin Linton, they have made no attempt to contact me directly to discuss things fully. 6. Many of those which we will retain will stay in the Court House but we have not yet identified which. 7. I understand this is unlikely to be a problem. Estimates are estimates, sometimes they prove high and sometimes low but this is the best figure currently available from the professionals who have reported. I think our bottom line (i.e. our non-negotiables) is clear enough - financial savings, a new library for Wandsworth Town and culture out in the community where more people will engage with it. I am very happy to engage with those who have ideas as to how we achieve these aims and indeed always have been. |