| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Tony Belton | |
| Date/Time: | 05/03/07 10:36:00 |
| Martin, I think the planning process will be slightly more of a formality than you imply. In many years on the Planning Committee I can only recall one application from the Council itself, which was refused. There is, of course, a right of appeal but only against a refusal (not an approval) and by the applicant. Neither you nor anyone else could appeal against the Council approving its own application to make the Courthouse a library, however inappropriate it might appear to be. In reply to another earlier comment the Council has, in fairness, been explicit that it hopes to pay for the "new" library at the Courthouse AND the refurbishment of Tooting Library, much needed, out of the proceeds of selling West Hill and Alvering on the property market. It has also been explicit that they think that the staffing at one central Wandsworth library as opposed to two other libraries will be less and cheaper - £100,000 p.a. Finally I doubt very much that Malcolm Grimston has given up on the Forum because he has been hurt by comments. I have exchanged email correspondence with him for some time and he is irrepressible qand tenacious. I rather suspect that he has simply lost the argument and has nothing to say. |