| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Martin Hime | |
| Date/Time: | 03/02/07 23:08:00 |
| John, I have been happy to read all your moderate comments about the Council. Much more likely to produce positive results than diatribe. The trouble with financing is that it is EXTREMELY complicated. Some of the money is now "ring fenced" eg for education. And a lot of the rest of it is very hard to restructure eg housing costs and social services. How well the financing has been run over the last 10 years, I am not sure. What I do know is that the reason the Council tops all Audits is that our staff, the top people carefully selected by Councillors, are exceptionally efficient. And that far less money is wasted than in most other Councils. So lets keep off history (I happen to believe that on balance our Council over the years has been quite outstanding) but lets concentrate on NOW. I think Councillor Heaster was using the wrong figure for inflation, and I hope others will look at that before the Meeting on 6 Feb. Also now lets concentrate on policies to significantly reduce Central Governement's interference in local and personal issues. AND I am still waiting for an answer to how much we spend on superfluous night lighting, (a "green issue too) the Barn Elms and how much extra income the increased parking charges will bring in. And a revision of estimates for a future deficit based on a 3 per cent inflation rate (almost certain to fall over the next 12 months as the Bank of England tightens the screws as they are now obliged to do) |