| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Tony Belton | |
| Date/Time: | 12/03/07 11:48:00 |
| James, As the single Labour member, I think you misunderstand the Finance Committee. Despite its name it is not in reality THE important Committee, which is the Corporate Resources Committee and which defines the budget, etc., etc. On that we do have 2 members. I absolutely agree re Brightside. I have in fact been airbushed out of photographs that have appeared in Brightside! It is a Labour councillor joke, but not a very funny one, that Kathy Tracey has her picture on every single page. That is an interesting point about Ken. The trouble is that Wandsworth Tories have created such a relationship with both the Government and with Ken that sensible dealings are almost impossible. Take just, for example, the Council story, repeated by Malcolm Grimston, of the £5 million cut in Grant. There is no cut, there never has been a cut. What there has been, and let's admit it, is an increase below inflation levels, which is not the same thing at all. Even if Wandsworth got the same increase as the national average then there would still be only another £1.5 million in the pot and nothing like the £5 million Grimston claims. The problem is almost entirely down to the Council's irresponsible budgetting for the last 3 years and blaming the Labour Government is not exactly the most sensible approach IF you want to get a better deal in future. Fortunately both Ken and the Government make decisions on a fairer and more rational basis than Wandsworth councillors conceive. As a PS I would wish that Malcolm would cease getting so shirty about libellous accusations and the like. No one dishes the dirt like Malcolm, I should know as I get a fair proportion of it, but few people squeal so much like a stuck pig when he gets it in return. Tony Belton, Labour Leader |