| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Martin Hime | |
| Date/Time: | 11/03/07 20:05:00 |
| I really think I should stay out of this discussion as so much I say is misunderstood. Nevertheless here goes again. Roland, you miss the point about saving money. Council staff were asked to find ways of saving money. Someone came up with idea of closing the Museum, and Malcolm agreed. There was no suggestion at that time it would "improve" culture in Wandsworth. Malcolm, I remember very well the question of Special Schools which was debated at many meetings over at least 2 years. Originally the Council was folowing then Govt policy for "inclusion" ie as many as possible children with special needs should go to mainstream schools. Then the Govt changed its attitude as did Wandsworth. It was recognised that "inclusion" was often far from a good idea. So Wandsworth changed the progamme and called it "reorganisation and investment in Special Schools" . The way it all turned out was, I believe, of advantage to children with special needs. But it was a "volte face". Similar events are occurring over the Museum. It is no good pretending that the original idea of closure was other than to save money. As things have developed (over 2 months rather than 2 years as was the case with Special schools)it is being alleged that the proposal is just to improve "culture" in Wandsworth. I find this hard to swallow. I also understand Malcolm why the "formal" budget was used to calculate savings. But this is a distortion - the figure which must be looked at which represents any real savings is the actual cost of running the Museum in 2006/07. We still have not been given that figure, but I suspect it is a maximum of £300,000 perhaps less. I still think Malcolm you could accept a 6 month delay without loss of face (In fact gaining it showing you listen) This would allow further thought to be given by everyone to plans for "culture" in Wandworth Town, and perhaps for sponsors and/or alternative plans to be found without too much rush. Incidentally I know that £2 million extra is coming to the Council from increased parking charges, so I think the Council will be able to survive. |