| Topic: | Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Proposed closure of Wandsworth Museum | |
| Posted by: | Malcolm Grimston | |
| Date/Time: | 11/01/07 15:21:00 |
| I wasn't aware my motives were being questioned - I think and hope it is accepted by all that an elected politician must always act in the interests of electors as a whole or he or she doesn't get reelected. We simply have a debate about who should take difficult decisions and on what basis. 'My own way' is simply the council's analysis of which savings would have least impact on the community (I take absolutely no pleasure in making anyone unhappy or uncomfortable about local facilities) and I welcome the contribution of all who make constructive suggestions as to how the savings could be achieved in other ways. But Wandsworth isn't like some local councils where there is still a lot of waste to be cut back - as you note (though not in quite the same words) we've been making the best use of public resources for some years and if the government cuts our grants we have to respond with local savings which will inevitably be difficult. I think we've found a way of doing that which, if practical, will enhance access to library facilities in Wandsworth without seriously denting the cultural life of the vast majority. On the wider point, it's only six months since the people of the Brighter Borough had the biggest say there is - a local election. If you feel the people got it wrong that is your privilege - maybe you'll stand next time so they can pass judgment on your alternative approach - but as the elected council we have to take decisions based on what people expect from us. I personally always welcome the candidacy of any resident with different views so that electors can have an even wider choice than the four Parties which stood in my Ward last May. Details, including statistics, on all proposals will be available in the papers for the Environment & Leisure OSC next month. |