Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield
Posted by: Roger Lee
Date/Time: 12/04/10 01:43:00

Each case should be judged on it's individual merits ! Do be careful not to tar everybody / creature with the same brush !

In defence of Staffordshire Bull Terriers ! These dogs are generally good natured & good with children etc ! Every animal is an individual, just like you or I & has feelings & will have it's 'Good' & 'Bad' days ! We are not all exactly the same, just like all dogs of whatever breed are not exactly the same !

***It comes down to how the animal is handled and trained by the people who it comes into contact with, which can be many more people than just the Owner ! There are alot of irresponsible people who are out there amongst the general public, who may or may not own or have access to a dog ! My friend's sister owned a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who was excitable & boisterous but never hurt anybody, adults or children etc. ! What this particular dog needed was a daily routine and plenty of exercise to include long walks ! Me & my friend, David, took this particular dog out for long walks in the local park ! A change of scenery also helps to relieve boredom for a dog (& people) e.g. doing different walks in different areas ! N.B. Owners must do the most appropriate & intensive research to find out the requirements of a particular breed of dog e.g. - exercise requirements, annual innoculation costs, daily/weekly/monthly food costs, costs of a collar & lead or harness & dog identification disc (Control of Dogs Act 1992 requires a dog to have a collar with a plate attached with the Owner's Name & Address (Tel. No. not required) or a dog disc/tag with these details on to be attached to the dog collar etc. - before taking that particular breed of dog on ! In addition Microchipping & keeping these identification means Dog Disc/Tag & Microchip details updated and current when changes occur ! ***

I walk two Lurchers, a Dog & a Bitch, that my ex-partner owns ! The Bitch has a great temperament with all people & all other dogs ! The Dog has a great temperament with all other people, but he is not keen on Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Alsatians, Jack Russell Terriers, Labradors & Welsh Border Collies ! The Sex, Dog or Bitch, (Un)Neutered or whatever the colour of the particular dog that this Dog Lurcher (A Sighthound - Long Sighted - Excellent vision over long distances) sees (200 yards + or getting nearer to or meeting) does not seem to matter ! Athough this Dog Lurcher is an individual & will not always react exactly the same for seeing,coming close to or meeting another dog, be it a Dog or Bitch, Unneutered or Neutered ! I always have this Dog's Muzzle in my pocket & I wll put it on him if it is required e.g. he barks and gets 'over exuberant' when I am out walking with him on a lead in a public place ! I also have an adequate supply of 'Dog Poo' Bags in my pocket, along with a large amount of Kitchen Roll & I carry a water spray bottle to clear up after him as usually, the second time that he 'does his business' out in public it is not solid ! I am a responsible Dog Walker (not Owner) & I am legally responsible for the two Lurchers when I take either or both of them for a walk in public !

I too am well aware of the large amount of *Staffordshire Bull Terriers & of the other Dog Breeds (Pedigree) - Greyhounds, Alsatians, Welsh Border Collies & Jack Russell Terriers & of the Mongrels & other Types (Lurchers) that Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, through no fault of their own end up at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home - *Battersea, Old Windsor & Brands Hatch sites waiting to be rehomed !

If & when a Dog Owner has a particular problem with one of their animals then if they are A+ responsible Dog Owner they should seek out the most appropriate assistance e.g. Veterinary Surgeon, Animal Behaviourist etc. as soon as possible !

Basically it comes down to whether the person who owns/handles the dog is a responsible owner/handler ! It is the Positive/Negative Influence on the dog by the Owner/Handler & not the other way around ! The Positive Influence on the dog by the Owner/Handler is the specific thing that matters the most & is of paramount importance !    

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield01/04/10 09:28:00 Martine Guy
   Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield01/04/10 22:55:00 Fiona Mehta
      Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield08/04/10 14:03:00 Martine Guy
         Re:Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield09/04/10 10:57:00 Guy Sunda
         Re:Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield09/04/10 23:31:00 Fiona Mehta
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield09/04/10 23:34:00 Fiona Mehta
   Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield11/04/10 14:18:00 Brad Sutherland
      Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield11/04/10 20:45:00 Martine Guy
         Re:Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield11/04/10 21:29:00 Jonathan Callaway
      Re:Re:Dangerous Dogs in Thamesfield12/04/10 01:43:00 Roger Lee

Forum Home