Forum Message

Topic: Reply
Posted by: Michael Ixer
Date/Time: 27/07/21 17:07:00

Barbara, I agree with you that black cabs are undervalued. They have an advantage in that they can all carry wheelchairs and stop on red lines: very useful when trying to get elderly relatives to places with no parking and trying to avoid pushing a wheelchair long distances on uneven pavements. I was also amused when a colleague ordered us an Uber, unfortunately we could see the car trying to reach us but some temporary roadworks stymied the satnav instructions; it took 5-10 minutes to meet up with the car from first spotting it! I'm sure a black cab driver would have not only had the "knowledge" to circumvent the works but would also have been warned by other cab drivers of the impediment at some stage during the day. I also found black cabs useful for eye appointments at Kingston Hospital during the lockdown. One's automatically physically distanced from the driver! (And if one's having eye drops put in driving oneself isn't recommended ...)

Although, I wouldn't knock the Uber business model, it does cut costs using technologically and probably works most of the time for the majority of users. I'm just not so keen on some of their business ethics.

Still, I guess sometimes one gets what one pays for?

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
TfL erroneously revoking private hire licences?26/07/21 17:33:00 Michael Ixer
   Re:TfL erroneously revoking private hire licences?27/07/21 15:11:00 Barbara Stevens
      Reply27/07/21 17:07:00 Michael Ixer
      Re:Re:TfL erroneously revoking private hire licences?27/07/21 22:23:00 Michael Winstanley

Forum Home