Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:local environmental group?
Posted by: Margot Tong
Date/Time: 24/09/10 11:51:00

Hi Catherine,

I guess the ultimate aim is to be 'low-carbon', but all the different aspects you have mentioned are very interrelated.
My impression is that there are quite a lot of conservation groups in Putney already, and cycle campaigns across Wandsworth, so although we could support what they are doing, that would not be a central activity.

As I work in sustainability policy I spend all day finding out new things about household & business behaviours and initiatives, so I feel I have a background which could be helpful in this. I also have been involved in evaluating community environmental groups so I have a feel for what is a good idea and what is a total waste of time...(!).

I think the main areas I would like to target would be
* waste and recycling (including food waste, electronics & textiles)
* energy efficiency & use
* water, flooding and drainage

Initially I want to do this by creating an online resource for SW15 residents & those nearby. It will not be more harping on about climate change, it will be a practical source of information about simple changes or technologies people can use in their homes and local suppliers of those, initiatives & grants available in our area, services, courses....

I basically want to take the guess work out - rather than every indiviual in Putney having to work out where they can take their old tv for recycling, have the information readily available. Obviously some of this is on the council website but I want to build a whole lifestyle picture.

I hope this makes sense and I haven't scared anybody away with my essay!

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
local environmental group?23/09/10 10:20:00 Margot Tong
   Re:local environmental group?23/09/10 20:30:00 Catherine Schade
      Re:Re:local environmental group?24/09/10 11:51:00 Margot Tong

Forum Home